Other Forums > Town Hall

Should Adventist Celebrate Easter as a Holy Day?

(1/17) > >>

Larry Lyons:
Here is an article that someone sent me via email. It is by a Seventh-day Adventist pastor.

"Easter Sunday... Just another Day?

This year I return to Union College for my 40th Class Reunion. I am looking forward to seeing old classmates, eating some famous Valentino's pizza and pretending to be twenty-something again.

The sad part is I will be doing this over the most sacred Christian holy weekends of the year-Easter. When I called the Alumni Director, she told me the Alumni Board had decided to stay with the traditional first weekend of April and that they would incorporate some Easter related events. I wondered: whoich is worse, ignoring Easter altogether or seeing it as a "background event."

Later I opened the Pacific Union Recorder and noticed a display ad for the upcoming Westpoint of Evangelism, starting (you guessed it) on Easter Sunday. Pastors from all over the Pacific Union will be travelling on the most sacred Christian holiday of the year to get to a pre-planned event that could have been scheduled to start on a different day.

Perhaps these are isolated events, not typical of our general attitude. But I wonder. Adventism is a strongly doctrinal-based religious belief system. Our belief in the seventh day Sabbath is in the first part of our name, and its one of our reasons for existence. The Sunday resurrection of Christ, on the other hand, si sometimes used to argue for worship on Sunday.

What should we do with this most holy day for most of Christianity. Many of our churches have Good Friday evening services and plan special music or messages for "Easter Sabbath," all neatly within the confines of our day of worship.

But perhaps we should be more conscious of Easter Sunday, and what we do that day? What do you think?"

[This pastor's statement is especially significant in the context of Fernando Canale's article that is posted on Town Hall at the 'How does the Church Fulfill the Great Commission? topic.]

newbie:
Easter is the celebration of Ishtar.

GraceVessel:
Yes, the Easter context, from a historical viewpoint is the celebration of Ishtar, so I guess it depends on how you define the word "celebrate" and "worship".   The high probability that a large majority of people could either care less for Ishtar, or the historical significance of the source of Easter and it's growth to a gospel more focused on the resurrection... to me is the major question of note.
I do not worship Ishtar... but have no "qualms" visiting a Sunday church on Easter sunday (should I ever be put in that situation while traveling or if directed by God's spirit to do so). 

I find it somewhat off putting.. that our major concern is sometimes what will other people think of us.. and whether its "wrong or right"... does EGW say anything about it?  Should we permit something of this "ilk" into our cultural normality?  In actual reality, Easter is a very "high sabbath" kind of day for those who worship on Sunday.  Any "crossroads" event can be an opporuntity to share the gospel "within context". 

I guess it comes down to what you alllow yourself to be influence by and who makes decisions for you... does the Seventh-day Adventist church make your decisions of conscience or do you?

In my reading of EGW and her experience as a Christian... she always struck me as a thinking person that was legimate, read voraciously, studied intensely, and made informed, balanced, and wellthought out responses and "decision trees".  .... ===strongly doctrinal-based religious belief system=== as quoted from the pastor's email pretty much sums it up.  Are we about doctrine or about sharing Jesus with others?
Are both exclusive or inclusive? or both?

Would seem to me discusing Jesus resurrection with someone this time of year... with this being the sequa (spelling)... seems appropriate.

with kind regards,

Gracevessel

Raven:
Whoever this pastor is, he sounds more like a mainline Protestant than he does an Adventist.  Easter is not a holy day.  There is nothing in the Bible that indicates that it is.  The Bible is clear about the holiness of the Sabbath, but other than stating the fact that Jesus rose on the first day of the week, it has nothing to say about any holiness attached to resurrection Sunday.  While I don't advocate ignoring it, I don't think we should get caught up on all the hype surrounding it.  I don't attend sunrise services, for example.  Neither do I go out of my way to disparage those who fell compelled to observe it in some fashion.

This is the statement that really struck me as odd:   "Pastors from all over the Pacific Union will be travelling on the most sacred Christian holiday of the year to get to a pre-planned event that could have been scheduled to start on a different day."  He is treating Easter as he would the Sabbath day.  Very strange.

Larry Lyons:

--- Quote from: Raven on March 26, 2012, 04:54:16 PM ---Whoever this pastor is, he sounds more like a mainline Protestant than he does an Adventist.  Easter is not a holy day.  There is nothing in the Bible that indicates that it is.  The Bible is clear about the holiness of the Sabbath, but other than stating the fact that Jesus rose on the first day of the week, it has nothing to say about any holiness attached to resurrection Sunday.  While I don't advocate ignoring it, I don't think we should get caught up on all the hype surrounding it.  I don't attend sunrise services, for example.  Neither do I go out of my way to disparage those who fell compelled to observe it in some fashion.

This is the statement that really struck me as odd:   "Pastors from all over the Pacific Union will be travelling on the most sacred Christian holiday of the year to get to a pre-planned event that could have been scheduled to start on a different day."  He is treating Easter as he would the Sabbath day.  Very strange.

--- End quote ---
Raven, what really struck me about this article was that it dramatically confirms Fernando Canale's main thesis of his article "The Protestantization of the Adventist Mind-and the Eclipse os Scripture." The erroneous belief has been promoted among Adventists for many years, that Adventist theology is basically the same as Protestant theology except that we have a few doctrines that differ from theirs when in fact the basis of Protestant theology is "multi-sourced, traditional, Roman Catholic theology, which was derived from Greek Philosophy." This has produced a situation in which there are many Adventists, including laity, pastors, and college professors whose thinking and attitudes are much like the Protestant/Evangelicals and, Canale warns, as we adopt more and more of their ideas and approaches to mission, worship styles, emerging church, spiritual formation,  church growth schemes etc. it puts us with the Evangeliicals, on a trajectory towards Rome. And of course as has been pointed out, the veneration of Easter is a purely Roman Catholic institution that was brought in to Protestantism from the RC church in the days of the the Reformers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version