Other Forums > Town Hall

Should Adventist Celebrate Easter as a Holy Day?

<< < (2/17) > >>

Soli Deo Gloria:
I agree that there is no Biblical mandate to celebrate Christmas or Easter on any certain day.

But I think it is great to have these annual reminders that not only help our our own faith, but is a tremendous opportunity to witness to others, as people are more open to hearing the gospel around these celebrations. That is why the SDA church has outreaches to the community on Easter Sunday.

Is there something so wrong with this?

I wish we would spend more time studying the meaning of the Resurrection of Christ rather than always finding fault with the celebration.

Around Christmas time, I don't see very many folks posting much about how thankful we should be for the gift of Christ's birth.

I have tried to start threads on the resurrection such as this one:

http://www.revivalsermons.org/forums/index.php?topic=3515.0

But I carried on a monologue until one poster mentioned something about a passion play, and then someone got interested on that thread and chimed in a protest against Passion plays.

The death and Resurrection of Christ is the most important event of the gospel story. The implications of this event run so deep, but we spend so little time talking about the riches of the gospel.

Instead it is more important to criticize celebrations or mentions of these events.

Shouldn't we spend more time celebrating the Resurrection of Christ than criticizing the celebrations?

Well, just a thought.

Stan

Larry Lyons:

--- Quote from: Soli Deo Gloria on March 27, 2012, 09:51:49 PM ---I agree that there is no Biblical mandate to celebrate Christmas or Easter on any certain day.

But I think it is great to have these annual reminders that not only help our our own faith, but is a tremendous opportunity to witness to others, as people are more open to hearing the gospel around these celebrations. That is why the SDA church has outreaches to the community on Easter Sunday.

Is there something so wrong with this?

I wish we would spend more time studying the meaning of the Resurrection of Christ rather than always finding fault with the celebration.

Around Christmas time, I don't see very many folks posting much about how thankful we should be for the gift of Christ's birth.

I have tried to start threads on the resurrection such as this one:

http://www.revivalsermons.org/forums/index.php?topic=3515.0

But I carried on a monologue until one poster mentioned something about a passion play, and then someone got interested on that thread and chimed in a protest against Passion plays.

The death and Resurrection of Christ is the most important event of the gospel story. The implications of this event run so deep, but we spend so little time talking about the riches of the gospel.

Instead it is more important to criticize celebrations or mentions of these events.

Shouldn't we spend more time celebrating the Resurrection of Christ than criticizing the celebrations?

Well, just a thought.

Stan

--- End quote ---
Stan, i agree with what you say about the death and resurrection of Christ. And I don't have a problem with Adventist churches acknowledging Easter and Christmas in ways that glorify God. The death and resurrection of Christ will be our study throughout eternity. But I am sure you understand the somewhat lukewarm or cold attitude that many Adventists have towards some of the traditional celebrations that are actually baptized  paganism that came out of Rome. Easter and ChristmasI are the two most prominent ones. Actually, I think that the bigger problem is that there has been a tendency fro a long time among some Adventist church leaders and laity to drift away from the church's sola scriptura roots and are trying to mimic some of the evangelicals, even the charismatics. That makes it difficult to preach the message of revelation 14, which is our mission. The article I posted by Fernando Canale documents this in detail.

GraceVessel:
Larry,

I agree with some of the thrust of your response... however, Stan's premise is rock solid.  The core of the sola scriptura sourceableness of how we explain, promlugate, defend, or share the gospel MUST be rooted in the works that Jesus did FOR us and does IN us by grace.  The 3AM do not stand alone as a biblical mandate and instruction, rather they expound upon the foundation of the Gospel which is laid in the death and resurrection. 

The best way for me to explain this to you is the Sabbath.  Elohim made us perfect in Eden, Jesus came to restore that which was lost, Life, death, resurrection, and assension, and mediation of the everlasting covenant. (which includes the 3AM).

We must present the whole package of the Gospel... it doesnt exist extant.

with kind regards,

Gracevessel.

Larry Lyons:
I agree with you Gracevessle. I wasn't trying to say otherwise. The foremost part of the 3AM is the "everlasting gospel." I was just reminding Stan (I know he knows this) why some Adventists are not excited about celebrating Easter as a special day. We should go to Jesus every day and praise thank Him for what He His death and resurrection means to us. That should be the main theme of our lives. Our lives should be a witness to that fact.

By the way, I want to praise God for his protection. Yesterday my car suffered what I think is a broken tie rod. I had just pulled on to the highway and gone a few hundred yards, and decided to turn around and take another route. As I tried to make a U turn I heard a noise and could no longer steer the car. I stopped and found that the right front wheel was turned one way and the left the other. If this had happened a couple of minutes later, and I hadn't decided to turn around it could have been a disaster. This mountain road runs along areas where there are high cliffs above a river and many a car has ended up down the cliff and into the river. I think God prompted me to turn around. It may have saved my life.

V. Hahn:
Wow, Larry...I'm thankful you're alright.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version